Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Back To School


Well, the kids are happy. They enjoyed the first day of school..


Kristen will be changing classes during the day now.. She is excited about that..


Jonah is excited about the 8th grade prom..lol


I hope and pray that all goes well this year..I'm one of those moms that just prays that they pass..lol.


Their school meals went up....... I'm sure their activity fee probably will go up too... I often wonder what happened to all that money that Mike Moore, The attorney General of Mississippi a few years ago, got from that big Tobacco settlement for our schools a few years ago????


Our schools are from like the 1950's, with duct tape keeping the window unit air conditioners inside the frame windows, that are rotting..


I grew up in Houston ,Texas where the schools were state of the art buildings, with elevators and escalators..So when I moved to Mississippi, and saw the schools that my children go to, it's like, What's up with that?


Not all the schools are like that.. The ones in the larger cities, have the newest buildings..

I know that we pay taxes.. It's just that , with our superintendents making $130,000 a year, you would think that more money would go to the schools... And get this.. Our one county, has 2 school districts.. Oh, I get mad every year.. I 'll stop the rant now...


I hope all of you have a wonderful week.. I just want my kids to be happy.. Hopefully, this year will be a very happy one for them...


Bunches of hugs......

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah! its much better,

peppylady (Dora) said...

School all ready. My son Sawyer start his college classes the last Monday of the month and Bart start Tuesday after Labor Day.

Unknown said...

I really hope your kids have a happy year at school. Hopefully they will fix up their schools.
Take care.
Lisa

Deborah Wilson said...

I use to work with a lady who lived in Texas for a while and she too said that Texas Schools were top-notch.

Georgia Schools, at least in my area are good, a few are new. The buildings are a long way from the style of the 60's. The school that I went to had hardwood floors, 1 class room for grades Kindergarten through 7th grade, and the best - I swear *the best* - home cooked school lunches ever.

My kids missed out on lunches like I had in Elementary school. By the time the 80's rolled around, almost everything was instant and/or frozen.

Alice said...

Your school starts so early. Here school always begins after Labor Day. And each town/area has their own school district here so there are about 2 dozen and they don't share expenses. Grrrrr, I understand your rant.

Patty said...

Glad everything went well on the first day back.

hippo chick said...

Hi Stephanie,

I can't believe your guys are back in school already. Our kids don't go back until after Labor Day.

As to the Supt's making $130,000, some of ours make $190,000. What's that about? Especially when teachers make $50,000. Can't figure it out.

Anyway, I hope the kids have a really good year.

~hippo hugs~

Monogram Queen said...

I hope all goes well at school for them also!

Duct tape around the windows... and I thought SC had some bad ones!

Cheryl Wray said...

I just don't understand how school systems get the least of anything. That's the most important part of our society!

We have old schools here also, but htey are good ones. And we are getting a brand new high school that should be ready in two years. McKenna will have just graduated, but Delaney will get to enjoy it.

So glad the kids had a good first day. We have one more week to go!

Nonnas News said...

Wow, cant beleive your kids are already back in school! It hasnt started back here in texas yet!

Renie Burghardt said...

Hi Stephanie,

School begins next week in my area. And even though it's very rural here, the schools are newer buildings and are very nice.

I hope your kids have been enjoying being back in school!

Hugs,

Renie

Elizabeth said...

Glad their first day went well...hoping that they each have a fine, fun, rest of the year...and enjoy a bit of learning, too !! Sorry the schools are in such disrepair..our public schools are filled with so many difficult, unruly kids that my daughter begged to go somewhere else, so she will start at a Christian School. It is private but because of my disability, we were given a very generous grant for tuition. The classes will be small..I pray she will be happy this year (8th grade!).

Nancy said...

School starts earlier and earlier every year, or so it seems. I can remember as a child, ours always started the day after Labor Day. We went to an old school with the wooden floors, but it was a stone building and really not as bad as you described. We did get to attend the new school starting our freshman year...it housed grades 1-12. We all got a great education there, though.

I know what you mean about paying taxes and then the kids are the last to receive any benefits from those tax dollars. The big shots (or so they think they are!) just get a boost in their already high salary!!! The teachers deserve that pay raise more than the supervisors. And yet they charge an activity fee??? Something's wrong there!

Loved the little cartoon!!!

Have a good week, Stephanie!

(((((( HUGS ))))))